Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Back in San Jose

January is over- and it went so fast! I worked at a camp for the past 3 1/2 weeks and got back to San Jose Sunday night. Camp was a wonderful experience- and super tiring. We had a good turn out each of the weeks and many gave their lives to Christ. It is so satisfying to see kids making decisions for Christ. I can't explain it. You know their lives will never be the same! I made some good friends with the staff while I was there. I think the most frustrating part was that it was hard to build on the relationships I made because of my lack of Spanish. You can only say "hey, how are you" so many times before people start avoiding you. I did start to pick up some things and understanding a lot more than when I arrived. However, it is very possible that I made up my own message based on the words that I recognized in the sermon. Later to find out that he had preached on a totally different topic. But, nonetheless, God was still speaking to my heart. I made some decisions as well and I can say that this past month has been personally, spiritually uplifting.
Life back in San Jose is much slower, but I'm not complaining after a month of non-stop activities! Marissol and I started an art class on Tuesday mornings. We made the agreement that I'm not allowed to speak any English while I'm there. My first class was this past Tuesday. It's a 3 hours class...I didn't say too much. Most of my time was spent listening to another woman ramble on about her children and every now and then she would ask me a question. I can't say for sure if my Spanish is getting better, but I bet I could take anybody on in charades. At least my facial expressions and hand gestures are constantly improving?
I start working at the bilingual school next Monday. I am thankful for so many opportunities to practice my Spanish. It is usually very uncomfortable, but very helpful.
Thank you all so much for your prayers. The Lord is good and reminds me of that every day. I appreciate all of you and your support while I'm here!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah - Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Be safe and enjoy what God is teaching you. Blessings, my friend, Alison

    ReplyDelete